Saturday, December 4, 2010

The End (Or how come it feels like I'll never finish writing this book?)

It should be easy.

Just type The End and be done with it, right? Apparently not.

I've been on the downhill side of my WIP for a couple of months now and gravity says it should be getting easier, moving faster the closer I get to the bottom, but it isn't.

It is SO far from easy.

Sometimes I just stop and think* about when it was easy, way back at the beginning. “Remember the day you pounded through the first 10k words like it was nothing?” I say aloud. “The words just came and you knew they were right. What happened to that? When did your writing get so repetitive and boring. Just finish already!”

Don't get me wrong, excitement and a love of the story are in there too (somewhere). But at the moment they're getting out-shouted by the negatives.

The loudest negatives being dread.

Finishing means actually moving forward in this process. It means revising. And revising some more. And eventually it means querying (which, let's admit it, is freaking scary). Right now I'm living in my little writing bubble--not telling too many people about what I'm working on, and letting even fewer of them read some scraps of it. I like that bubble. No pressure but my own in my bubble—and that's plenty.

But at the same time I feel like I’m treading water. I keep writing and writing, the plot keeps getting more complicated with every scene, and that list of revisions that I’m keeping (but trying not to look at) is getting longer.

And as much as I’ve enjoyed this story and discovering what it’s truly about in this first draft (and despite the complaining, I have enjoyed it**) , I can’t wait to get started on revisions.

Oh, I know what you’re thinking. And you’re probably right.

I say that now and then in a month I’ll be complaining about those too. (“Damn revisions, why can’t I go back to happy writer-bubble-first-draft time.”) But right now, I have a good idea what changes are going to need to happen and I’m excited about them. I know they’ll make this story better. Of course, this makes staying focused and finishing that much harder—I’m ready for the next step!

But no.

I guess, I need to find the fun in this rough*** draft again. I have some big, exciting, important scenes still to write. I have some characters to *ahem* kill off, and some others to torture some more with annoying boys and way-too-peppy friends.

There’s no lesson here. No solution. Sometimes you just have to keep your butt in the chair and keep taking those baby steps towards the end—no matter how much you wish you could skip over the journey.

And since it's the holiday season and all...just follow Kris Kringle’s advice and keep putting one foot in front of the other. (But keep your butt in the chair while you do it! You cheaters.)

* This ‘thinking’ is really just a form of procrastinating and happens often when I should be forcing myself to finish a scene. It’s usually followed by me reorganizing my desk and stalking people on Twitter.

**No, really. I can tell you don’t believe me but for the most part it has been great. Frustrating at times? Yes. But I learned a lot. About myself, my writing, my characters. You name it—I even learned which candy helps me write. (Peanut butter M&Ms, if you’re in the area and want to bring me some. I’m looking at you, roomie.)

***Oh man, the roughness.

3 comments:

  1. I have no idea what it's like to get frustrated from writing a novel for months. I mean spell check was invented with me in mind. But here's what I know:

    1.When you don't ever want to think about plot, characteriziation, climax (yeah I know what you are thinking), or any other literary terms every again....then let someone else get excited for you! Since most of us in the world can barely write a sentence without it being a run-on, we will easily get excited about your 100 zillion word novel. And once you get published, we will ALWAYS replace the book that is on the center display in the bookstore with your book. (see Sex and the City, The Movie). Scouts Honor (girl scout salute) The fact that I was never a girl scout has no bearing on the situation...promise.
    2. Staying in your chair is CRUCIAL. I suggest a rolling chair which will allow for better mobility to places like the kitchen, the living room (where the TV just might happen to be located), and especially the bathroom. Since you will be in your chair the whole time you will be ok, right?
    3. Also, a well padded chair is very important...NO ONE LIKES NUMB BUNS!
    4. Peanut Butter M&Ms----CHECK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most importantly remember to have fun and don't loose sight of the inspiration that was your driving force before you ever wrote those first sweet words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! yay! yay! Kath has a blog!!!!!!! Sorry, no advice from this gal, I can't really sympathize with the whole "not getting things done" concept because I'm type-A to the max and can't start anything without knowing exactly how and when it will be done. Not like I have to tell you this...you know me, organized MG! SO proud of you!

    ReplyDelete